Welcome to the Rochester Area Youth Assistance Website
About Rochester Youth Assistance
Rochester Area Youth Assistance (RAYA) is a non-profit organization whose goal is to strengthen youth and families in the Rochester Community and to reduce the incidence of delinquency, abuse and neglect through community partnerships.
Professional counseling and case-work services are available for youth, ages 5 through 16, and their families who live within the Rochester School District. This assistance is confidential. Referrals are made by school personnel, police, parents, friends, and young people themselves.
Anyone interested in learning more about the RAYA Program or how to become a RAYA volunteer is invited to attend a RAYA Board of Directors meeting which is held the fourth Tuesday of every month (excluding June, July and December) in the Graham Room at the RCS Administration Building – 501 W. University, Rochester, 48307 beginning at 5:00 p.m. or call the RAYA office at 248-656-3558.
Help Me Grow – Developmental Activity Groups
“Is it just a phase?”
- Understanding when anxiety is problematic.
- School anxiety and other types of anxiety
- How the anxious brain works. Common glitches that lead to anxiety.
- How media impacts anxiety.
- When and where to turn for help.
- A six step plan to help reduce anxiety.
Presented by Rebecca Ehle, LMSW and Katie Ong, MA, LLP who practice at River’s Bend P.C. in Troy and have a combined experience of over 40 years with an expertise in anxiety. This 2 hour overview will help you learn to distinguish between normal stress and problematic anxiety including school anxiety. You will increase your knowledge of practical solutions to help your child overcome fears, worries and phobias. We will also discuss how media influences anxiety and how to connect with therapeutic resources.
Program is free. Registration is preferred. Please call 248-656-3558 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This information is shared in partnership with Rochester Community Schools.
Oakland Press Highlights Value of RAYA
We are very pleased that the Oakland Press chose to write such a nice article about Rochester Area Youth Assistance. Thanks Oakland Press!
Services Provided to the Community
- SHORT-TERM COUNSELING & CASEWORK SERVICES are available to young people and their families, ages 5 to 16, who reside in the Rochester Community Schools District. Services are voluntary, confidential and include a $25 one-time processing fee.
- FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE is available to children K-12th grade for skill-building (sports or dance activities, classes, summer learning, etc.), camps or child care. **Parent or guardian must provide appropriate financial information to be eligible for financial assistance.
- CAMP SAFARI: Camp Safari is a low-cost, day camp for children ages 6-12 years of age for qualifying families who reside in Rochester Hills. This program is funded by the City of Rochester Hills, Rochester Avon Recreation Authority and Rochester Area Youth Assistance. RAYA and RARA work cooperatively to provide this summer camp June through August.
- FAMILY EDUCATION: A variety of programs are provided which facilitate family growth and development, including workshops, guest speakers and parenting classes.
- YOUTH RECOGNITION AWARD: A Youth Recognition Banquet is held each year to honor area young people who have overcome major obstacles to reach their goals, volunteered their time to an individual, an organization or in their community, or who has demonstrated personal perseverance beyond the ordinary. Nominations for this award are accepted all year and can be found at the RAYA web site.
- MENTORS PLUS PROGRAM is a program which matches a young person with a trained adult volunteer for the purpose of companionship and role modeling.
Boys Stand Strong Program
The Boys Stand Strong/LIFE group is part of the RAYA STRONG Family Education Program series. This is an interactive group to educate and equip middle school-age boys with:
- Gaining Life Skills
- Processing Frustration
- Learning & Practicing New Coping Skills
- Healthy Body/Healthy Mind
- Social Media Speaker